Niecy Nash-Betts can’t be an FBI rookie in real life, but she can definitely rock that badge on television. The American actress and comedian stars as a 48-year-old FBI rookie in The Rookie spin-off titled ‘The Rookie: Feds. Here is everything we know about the series which premiered about a month ago, on September 27, 2022.
The Rookie: Feds is an American crime drama series created by Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter for ABC. The police procedural television series is a spin-off of Hawley’s The Rookie and follows 48-year-old FBI rookie Simone Clark, a former guidance counselor assigned to a Special Investigative Unit led by Supervisory Special Agent Matthew “Matt” Garza. SA Simone and the original The Rookie character, Nolan, have the title of the oldest rookie in common, her, in the FBI, and he, in the LAPD.
‘The Rookie: Feds’ was first introduced through a two-part backdoor pilot in the parent series The Rookie. The two episodes of the pilot were released on April 24, 2022, and May 1, 2022. ABC gave a series order on May 13, 2022, before ordering a full 22-episode series later on October 21, 2022. ‘The Rookie: Feds’ is executive-produced by creators Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter in conjunction with lead actress Niecy Nash-Betts, Nathan Fillion, Michelle Chapman, Bill Norcross, and Corey Miller.
Filmed in Los Angeles, California, ‘The Rookie: Feds’ is a production of ABC Signature, Entertainment One, Perfect man Pictures, and Winter works. The crime drama series is distributed internationally by Entertainment One. ‘The Rookie: Feds’ season 1 premiered on September 27, 2022. As of today, four episodes have been released, the last of which aired on ABC on October 18, 2022. New episodes are released weekly on Tuesdays at 10 pm ET.
The Rookie: Feds Season 2 Release Date
The Rookie: Feds has neither been canceled nor renewed for season 2. We are still at the beginning of season 1, and still have a long way to go. With 18 episodes of season 1 unreleased, it might be a while before we get any official announcements concerning a second season. Although The Rookie: Feds is not performing up to its potential yet in terms of ratings, I think, with the masterpiece Black-ish concluded, ABC might be desperate enough to keep pushing in order to compete with other broadcast channels. And we are just starting out anyway, it is not entirely fair to judge the series by what is basically still its cover.
It might not be anything special, but I think The Rookie: Feds will end up a very entertaining series nonetheless. (Hello! Niecy Nash guys!). There will also be plenty of The Rookie crossovers for the fans. Only four episodes in, the crime series has a rating of 4.7/10 on IMDb and 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. There’s hope for the series yet, I tell you.
The Rookie: Feds Season 2 Plot
As the first season is in progress, it is not easy to speculate what Niecy and co. will get up to in a second season. And that is if the show even makes it to season 2 in the first place. Fingers crossed. Nevertheless, it’s safe to say The Rookie: Feds season 2 will not stray from what we have seen in season 1 so far. A lot of action, plenty of unconventional rookie methods, a teeny bit of comedy, and a regular dose of ‘we got this’. Truly the stuff of laid-back entertainment that still manages to keep you on the edge of your seat.
The Rookie: Feds Season 2 Cast
From the cast of season 1, here is a list of actors and actresses you can expect to see in The Rookie: Feds Season 2. As long as no major character dies, which is not unlikely giving the nature of the show, these are the main cast expected to be in the second season.
- Niecy Nash-Betts as Special Agent Simone Clark, assigned to SSA Garza’s Special Investigative Unit on graduation from FBI Academy
- James Lesure as Special Agent Carter Hope, Simone’s training agent
- Felix Solis as Supervisory Special Agent Matthew Garza, team leader of the Special Investigative Unit in the Los Angeles Field Office
- Frankie Faisons as Christopher Clark, Simone’s father
- Kevin Zegers as Special Agent Brendon Acres, Simone’s fellow graduate from the FBI Academy, also assigned to SSA Garza’s Special Investigative Unit
- Britt Robertson as Special Agent Laura Stensen, SSA Garza’s confidant and SA Brendon’s training agent
- Michelle Núñez as Special Agent Elena Flores, Special Investigative Unit tech analyst, and SSA Garza’s cousin
- Jessica Betts as DJ, Simone’s love interest
Also crossing over from the parent series, The Rookies, are:
- Nathan Fillion as John Nolan, Police Officer III, the oldest rookie at LAPD Wilshire Division
- Alyssa Diaz as Angela Lopez, Detective I with the LAPD Wilshire Division
- Melissa O’Neil as Lucy Chen, Police Officer II with the LAPD Wilshire Division
- Brent Huff as Quigley Smitty, Police Officer III and veteran with the LAPD Wilshire Division
- Eric Winter as Sergeant I Tim Bradford
Where to Watch ‘The Rookie: Feds’
The Rookie: Feds airs weekly on Tuesdays on the ABC channel. You can also stream the show online on Hulu and ABC.com. It is also available for free streaming on CTV.
Also Read: The Heirs Season 2 Cancelled or Renewed?