Young Sheldon is an American coming-of-age sitcom television series for CBS created by Chuck Lorre and Steven Molaro. The series, set in the late 1980s and early 1990s, is a spin-off prequel to The Big Bang Theory and begins with the character Sheldon Cooper at the age of nine where he is a high school student, living in East Texas with his family.
Young Sheldon Plot
The timeline of the story is from the late 80s to the early 90s when young Sheldon Cooper is attending high school in the fictional town of Medford in East Texas. As a nine-year-old high-schooler, he tries hard to fit in with the crowd and blend as a student of his age in this crowded world of all sorts of people which includes his friends and families who still have not figured out yet how one must deal with someone with such high intellectual capabilities, intelligence and social ineptitude as him.
‘Young Sheldon’ has skipped four grades due to his genius skills and high IQ- Brain to join the same grade as his elder brother. Sheldon struggles to be understood, accepted, and be what people define as usual in this world. His mom saves him from bullies by reminding people about his father being the coach of the football team and his brother playing for the team as well. Sheldon also has a sister who is not as intelligent as him but has a clearer view of what the world has planned for the future of this young genius.
Young Sheldon Season 6 Release Date
Lucky for all Young Sheldon and Big Bang Theory fans, the show follows a periodic schedule with its new season releases. The show is already renewed through season 7 and we can expect season 6 around fall 2022 between late September and early October to be specific. CBS has not yet released the trailer for season 6 but we can expect it by August 2022 following the trends of previous seasons.
What Will Young Sheldon Season 6 Have in store for us?
Towards the end of season 5, Sheldon is now 12 years old and already in the second semester of college, so, we can expect Season 6, Sheldon, to now enter into his sophomore year after turning 13 and expect more family drama, more bizarre events, and many more easter eggs dropped as told by older Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory.
Young Sheldon Season 6 Cast
- Iain Armitage as Sheldon Cooper, a child prodigy well-versed in various branches of mathematics and science. He decides to pursue Physics from the beginning of the show. Although academically brilliant, he struggles with social cues and is unable to socialize and blend in with other students of his age or fit into the society in general.
- Jim Parsons is the voice of adult Sheldon Cooper, who provides the perspective of an adult looking back at his childhood.
- Zoe Perry as Mary Tucker Cooper, mother of Sheldon, Missy, and Georgie.
- Lance Barber as George Cooper Sr., Sheldon, Missy and Georgie’s father and the head football coach at Medford High.
- Montana Jordan as George “Georgie” Cooper Jr., Sheldon and Missy’s older brother.
- Raegan Revord as Melissa “Missy” Cooper, Georgie’s younger sister and Sheldon’s fraternal younger twin sister.
- Annie Potts as Constance “Connie” Tucker, Sheldon, Missy, and Georgie’s maternal grandmother, whom they refer to as “Meemaw”.
- Matt Hobby as Pastor Jeff Difford (season 3–present; recurring seasons 1–2), the upbeat pastor at the Cooper family’s Baptist church.
- Wyatt McClure as Billy Sparks (season 5; recurring seasons 1–4), the son of a neighbor to the Cooper family.
- Wallace Shawn as John Sturgis (season 1–present)
- Ryan Phuong as Tam Nguyen (season 1–present)
- Billy Gardell as Herschel Sparks (seasons 1–2)
- Melissa Peterman as Brenda Sparks (season 1–present)
- Doc Farrow as Assistant Coach Wayne Wilkins (season 1–present)
- Valerie Mahaffey as Victoria MacElroy (seasons 1–3)
- Danielle Pinnock as Evelyn Ingram (seasons 1–4)
- Brian Stepanek as Hubert Givens (season 1–present)
- Rex Linn as Tom Petersen (season 1–present)
- Sarah Baker as Sheryl Hutchins (season 1–present)
- Jason Alexander as Mr. Gene Lundy (season 1–present)
- Nancy Linehan Charles as Peg (season 1–present)
- Chris Wylde as Glenn (seasons 1–3)
- Isabel May as Veronica Duncan (seasons 2–3)
- Ed Begley Jr. as Dr. Grant Linkletter (season 2–present)
- Mckenna Grace as Paige Swanson (season 2–present)
- Andrea Anders as Linda Swanson (seasons 2–4)
- Mary Grill as Officer Robin (seasons 2–3)
- Craig T. Nelson as Dale Ballard (season 3–present)
- Reba McEntire as June (season 3–present)
- Ava Allan as Jana Boggs (season 3–5)
- London Cheshire as Marcus Larson (seasons 3–4)
- Wendie Malick as President Linda Hagemeyer (season 4–present)
- Dan Byrd as Pastor Rob (season 5)
- Emily Osment as Mandy McAllister (season 5)
- Caleb Emery as Darren (season 5)
- Ivan Mok as Oscar (season 5)
There have been multiple guests and cameo appearances on the show including Elon Musk in the episode “A Patch, a Modem, and a Zantac®” in a flashforward scene set 27 years into the future as well Stephen Hawking as himself for a voice-only purpose.
Young Sheldon Season 6 Reception
Based on the first season, the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 76% approval rating with an average rating of 6.6/10 based on 46 reviews.
The show was already waited on and had pressure on itself because of the huge fan base of The Big Bang Theory and lived up to it as the majority of the audience loved the show and appreciated the prequel of their favorite character.
The show has been nominated for a bunch of awards including Teen Choice, Critic’s Choice and Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Television Awards. Iain’s performance has been appreciated by everyone and he also won the award for ‘Best Performance in a TV Series – Leading Young Actor’ in the Young Artist Awards in 2018.
The show has an IMDb rating of 7.8/10.
Where to Watch Young Sheldon
All seasons of Young Sheldon are available to stream on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, and VUDU. The first two seasons can be streamed for free on the official site of CBS in the accessible regions and the first four seasons are available with the HBOMAX Subscription as well.